Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?

Comment from: Kay, 75 or over (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My mother who is 75 years old was diagnosed with abdominal aortic aneurysm 2 and a half years ago. Surgeons decided to operate through the groin and repair it with a 3 part stents. Upon routine checkups they found that she had a leak so they operated again, putting cuff over the stent. Unfortunately this didn"t stop the leak, 3 weeks ago she underwent another operation to insert a balloon and sadly this has also not worked. We have to go back to see the surgeons end of March 2014 we are all worried as to what they can do for her now.

Comment from: worried wife, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: May 14

Probably 13 years ago my husband had an ultrasound checking for kidney stones. He didn't have any but was told he had an abdominal aortic aneurysm. We didn't ask what size. Through CT scans and ultrasounds, we've learned that in 13 months time it has grown from 6.4 cm to 7 cm. They say there are blood clots around the inside of the abdominal aortic aneurysm. He doesn't have pain. I wonder how long he can live with it that size. Surgery is out of the question. He is nearly 80 and has dementia.

Comment from: ben, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 20

A month ago my 78 year old Caucasian cousin was laying on the couch watching TV with his hand on his stomach. He felt his heart beating under his hand which he though was odd because it had never been there before. He went to the doctor's office the next day and 2 weeks later had surgery for this a-a-aneurism right near the branch to the kidney. He is recovering now.

Comment from: rosa johnson, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

In 2004 my sister had an abdominal aneurysm. She was in her 40s. While talking on the phone she suddenly felt intense pain, boring pain in her abdomen. She went to patient 1st clinic after delaying about 6 hours, they were closed. The next morning she went back and white cell count was high so they transferred her to emergency room. Finally she was diagnosed 24 hours after her abdominal aneurism had burst. A blood clot had lodged in her intestines and she lost most of her intestines due to sepsis, miraculously she is still alive today. She has never been healthy since but she is still alive. So if something feels wrong don't delay getting checked out.

Comment from: Blessed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a serious pancreas surgery done and was recovering at home. I had been out of the hospital for two weeks. For a couple days, I was not hungry and forced myself to eat for my recovery's sake. In the morning, I had eaten a waffle when all of a sudden I got very nauseous and started throwing up without being able to stop. My sons were going to take me into the hospital, but I knew somehow that that was not going to work, and they called 911. I started vomiting blood in the ambulance. By the time we got to the hospital, my blood pressure was really low and they were having me sign forms for blood transfusions. Within the hour, I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm rupture. I lost 10 units of blood and coded. I am very blessed to be here telling my story, hoping to save someone else. Instead of surgery, they used these coils that they put into the artery to close it off, and it worked. It took seven coils. If you feel as if there is something not right, there is nothing wrong with getting a doctor to look at it. It's better to be safe than sorry. It's been seven weeks, and I am getting stronger every day.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 01

My husband was only 48 when he was found to have a leaking AAA. We had a long wait to find out exactly what the severe pain was because of his age it was misdiagnosed as a kidney stone, diverticulitis amongst others. But thank heavens the aneurysm was discovered before it was fatal. His father had an AAA at 62 so I would say to others to keep nagging for a scan if there is excruciating abdominal pain or possibility of hereditary links. I would like to say cant fault NHS care for resulting treatment of AAA

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.