Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?

Comment from: Lucky 63, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

In January 2004 while going to the bathroom in a 7 watt night light I thought my urine in the bowl looked dark when I flushed. Next time I turned on the overhead and, it was very red. I called my doctor right away and he sent me to the hospital for a CT of my bladder. The results came quickly; a tumor in my bladder and an abdominal aortic aneurysm. A month later after sitting on pins and needles, surgery was performed by my vascular surgeon on Feb 6th, 2004 and the tumor in my bladder was taken care of on April 19th by my urologist. That was 11 years and 3 months ago. I volunteered for follow up studies that were yearly at 1st, then at 2 years and this year will be the 1st of a 3 year interval. Fate has once again stepped in. I was released today after 4 days of tests which started with a trip to the emergency room for chest pain. CT for blood clots disclosed my aortic aneurysm was growing from the repaired 3.8 cm. I also have a growth on my right kidney. Needless to say, tomorrow I am calling the necessary medical help.

Comment from: hj, Female (Caregiver) Published: February 23

My husband, 55 years old, discovered his abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) with thrombus by accident when he did his blood and urine test. The albumin was in high 600s so they did a scan to check his kidneys and that was when they discovered it about a year ago. Today the doctor said he will be booking him for an open surgery which he said is safer due to the thrombus, He had no symptoms, thanks to the scan it was discovered, if not we would not have known about it. His mum had an aneurysm too in her stomach, she too discovered it by accident. She was supposed to have an operation in 2012 June, but died in her sleep in 2011 December. No post mortem was done so not sure of the cause, she also had high blood pressure. She was 86. His uncle (dad's brother) just had his AAA on stomach open surgery, he was close to 80, and he is fine thank goodness. My husband has high blood pressure and smokes still. He was asked to quit so hope he does, just waiting for the doctor to contact us now. Hoping that everything will go off well. His protein is still high at 318 but he does not drink enough water, so that too could be a major contributor for the albumin, as well as the pressure. Hope you are all fine.

Comment from: proudgrandaughter, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 10

My granddad had an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) last Friday which ruptured at home and he was in absolute agony. Ambulance took him to hospital and gave him morphine. Nobody knew what was going on but then we found out he had an aneurysm and he had heavy internal bleeding. My granddad then had a 10 hour surgery and went straight into ICU while sedated. Four hours later, his stomach started to inflate. Doctors were worried that he had another blood leak. He was given 25% survival rate but thank goodness he survived. He is not still in ICU 6 days later, recovering. He is still heavily sedated but gradually making recovery. I honestly consider myself very lucky to still have my granddad. It's still a long road to recovery but we're all hanging on in there.

Comment from: Kay, 75 or over (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My mother who is 75 years old was diagnosed with abdominal aortic aneurysm 2 and a half years ago. Surgeons decided to operate through the groin and repair it with a 3 part stents. Upon routine checkups they found that she had a leak so they operated again, putting cuff over the stent. Unfortunately this didn"t stop the leak, 3 weeks ago she underwent another operation to insert a balloon and sadly this has also not worked. We have to go back to see the surgeons end of March 2014 we are all worried as to what they can do for her now.

Comment from: worried wife, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: May 14

Probably 13 years ago my husband had an ultrasound checking for kidney stones. He didn't have any but was told he had an abdominal aortic aneurysm. We didn't ask what size. Through CT scans and ultrasounds, we've learned that in 13 months time it has grown from 6.4 cm to 7 cm. They say there are blood clots around the inside of the abdominal aortic aneurysm. He doesn't have pain. I wonder how long he can live with it that size. Surgery is out of the question. He is nearly 80 and has dementia.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.