Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?

Comment from: Female Published: May 26

In 2010 my father at 67 years of age passed away from a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. He never knew the warning signs and was too stubborn to go to his doctor with his “stomach problem." Within 4 hours he was gone. So please- if you have any of the symptoms or just aren't feeling "right" go see your doctor or to the emergency room. You owe it to yourself and your loved ones to get it checked out as soon as possible.

Comment from: 55-64 Published: May 23

I just had 5 stints put in by a wonderful surgeon. I found out like most people do that I had a 6.0 aneurysum thru a MRI on the lower back. I am recovering slowly. It has been a very difficult time. I am only 61 years old. It is as all have said that it is a silent killer. If it can be caught early you stand a much better chance of survival.

Comment from: Larry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

January 5th, 2010 I was lifeflighted for aortic dissection type b. I take 672 pills to lower my blood pressure but it is still in the hyper range. Type b is now abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. The aneurysm was 4.7. The doctors advised me that surgery will not save me and that rupture will occur in my case at 5.0. The results of my scan is on May 12th. 2011. Wish me luck. And keep me in your prayers.

Comment from: cookie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I was experiencing lower back pain for a couple of years, and went to have an MRI to look at my back. To my surprise, it was discovered that I have at least a 5 cm abdominal aortic aneurysm, as all of it was not visible in the MRI. I was thinking the pain was caused because of a bad back. I'm 64, have never had heart problems, but have had high cholesterol, now on Crestor for that, and it's working well. I have been a smoker all of my life, and at this point, I still am, but going for laser treatment very soon. My point is, we do not take enough care of our body's, and need to pay more attention to what it is telling us. I am hoping for my sake everything turns out well.

Comment from: AAAfather, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 14

My father is a Veteran and seeks medical help from the VA. He is 68 years old and went in for just some tests due to his age last month. The doctors discovered that he had an AAA. The aneurysm is too large for a stent. He is having surgery next week. My father has always received wonderful care through the VA. However, he's never had any major issues in the past. Our family is very afraid due to the risks of this surgery.

Comment from: Threalscreener, 75 or over Male Published: August 14

I've just accidentally found out that I have a abdominal aortic aneurysm of 4.9. My health has been great, with no signs of any heart condition. I'm 80 years old and in perfect health. So where did I get this bulge? When? Don't know, don't care, I'm getting rid of it with a stent. Good riddance I say!

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.