Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?

Comment from: Bob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I went to the ER last week with sudden swelling in my scrotum. The doctor scheduled a CT scan and ultrasound test and discovered an AAA of 3.5 cm. He wasn't sure if the swelling (which went away in a matter of a few hours) was the cause of the aneurysm. Either way, I feel lucky that the condition was discovered and am going to my regular doctor tomorrow to discuss which type of treatment to have.

Comment from: J.M.RODRIGUES, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

On a routine medical check-up in Johannesburg, my doctor detected an abdominal aneurysm after doing a CT scan. When I saw the films, I thought it was the end, and I had a few sleepless nights. However, my cardiovascular surgeon operated on me three days later, inserted a stent and, although I was already 71 years old, and now I feel like new!

Comment from: Eric, 55-64 Male Published: November 23

My father-in-law suffered a stomach pain for almost 2 weeks from now. And we brought him to a doctor for consultation, with doctors advised he must go on ultrasound for further medical observation. We got his ultrasound last week Thursday. And it was seen in the ultrasound that he has a abdominal aortic aneurysm. But, we were shock about the result. We got further medical observation through a CT Scan on Abdomen. Still it was the same but, there is no sign of rupture. The doctors advised he must go on immediate operation and surgery to get the blood clot on the aorta, before it's too late that can cause him to become paralyzed.

Comment from: mocolp, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

My dad at 74 years old died at home on July 9, 2011 from AAA rupture. He was dead within 4 minutes. My doctor stated this is hereditary and that all family members should get an ultrasound on their aortic in their stomach. It was very sad to watch my Dad die and there was nothing I or anyone else could have done to help him. He had already passed by the time EMT's arrived. As far I know, since I was in the house close by him, he never made a sound for pain; it just took his life. So please see your doctor if there is heart disease in your family.

Comment from: Female Published: May 26

In 2010 my father at 67 years of age passed away from a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. He never knew the warning signs and was too stubborn to go to his doctor with his “stomach problem." Within 4 hours he was gone. So please- if you have any of the symptoms or just aren't feeling "right" go see your doctor or to the emergency room. You owe it to yourself and your loved ones to get it checked out as soon as possible.

Comment from: 55-64 Published: May 23

I just had 5 stints put in by a wonderful surgeon. I found out like most people do that I had a 6.0 aneurysum thru a MRI on the lower back. I am recovering slowly. It has been a very difficult time. I am only 61 years old. It is as all have said that it is a silent killer. If it can be caught early you stand a much better chance of survival.

Comment from: Larry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

January 5th, 2010 I was lifeflighted for aortic dissection type b. I take 672 pills to lower my blood pressure but it is still in the hyper range. Type b is now abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. The aneurysm was 4.7. The doctors advised me that surgery will not save me and that rupture will occur in my case at 5.0. The results of my scan is on May 12th. 2011. Wish me luck. And keep me in your prayers.

Comment from: cookie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I was experiencing lower back pain for a couple of years, and went to have an MRI to look at my back. To my surprise, it was discovered that I have at least a 5 cm abdominal aortic aneurysm, as all of it was not visible in the MRI. I was thinking the pain was caused because of a bad back. I'm 64, have never had heart problems, but have had high cholesterol, now on Crestor for that, and it's working well. I have been a smoker all of my life, and at this point, I still am, but going for laser treatment very soon. My point is, we do not take enough care of our body's, and need to pay more attention to what it is telling us. I am hoping for my sake everything turns out well.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.