Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?

Comment from: Casper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was shopping when I felt a sudden heat and pain in my esophagus area, then felt like I was going to pass out. Next thing was my right leg started to go numb and I was in a cold sweat and pretty much collapsed. Luckily I was in a public place and got taken to hospital. The ambulance drivers were harassing me about whether I had taken a drug overdose, meanwhile I was screaming in agony as my whole leg went totally numb and the pain was worse than childbirth. I was threatened with being put in restraints if I didn't be quiet.

Comment from: Eric, 55-64 Male Published: November 23

My father-in-law suffered a stomach pain for almost 2 weeks from now. And we brought him to a doctor for consultation, with doctors advised he must go on ultrasound for further medical observation. We got his ultrasound last week thursday. And it was seen in the ultrasound that he has a abdominal aortic aneurysm.But, we were shock about the result. We go more further medical observation through a CT Scan on Abdomen. Still it was the same but, there is no sign of rupture. The doctors advised he must go on immediate operation and surgery to get the blood clot on the aorta, before its too late that can cause him paralyzed.

Comment from: titofda, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I have been experiencing severe back pain for about a month. There were two particular instances where the back pain was so bad and restricting, that I could not stand up or walk for a minute or so. I went in to see my doctor for this severe back pain. He diagnosed arthritis and suggested that he can order an X-ray if I wanted. I told him I wanted the X-ray hoping it would pick up a pinched nerve or a bulging disk. To my surprise the doctor's office called me and told me that the X-ray picked up an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). I am going for an ultrasound tomorrow.

Comment from: Bob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I went to the ER last week with sudden swelling in my scrotum. The doctor scheduled a CT scan and ultrasound test and discovered an AAA of 3.5 cm. He wasn't sure if the swelling (which went away in a matter of a few hours) was the cause of the aneurysm. Either way, I feel lucky that the condition was discovered and am going to my regular doctor tomorrow to discuss which type of treatment to have.

Comment from: J.M.RODRIGUES, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

On a routine medical check-up in Johannesburg, my doctor detected an abdominal aneurysm after doing a CT scan. When I saw the films, I thought it was the end, and I had a few sleepless nights. However, my cardiovascular surgeon operated on me three days later, inserted a stent and, although I was already 71 years old, and now I feel like new!

Comment from: Eric, 55-64 Male Published: November 23

My father-in-law suffered a stomach pain for almost 2 weeks from now. And we brought him to a doctor for consultation, with doctors advised he must go on ultrasound for further medical observation. We got his ultrasound last week Thursday. And it was seen in the ultrasound that he has a abdominal aortic aneurysm. But, we were shock about the result. We got further medical observation through a CT Scan on Abdomen. Still it was the same but, there is no sign of rupture. The doctors advised he must go on immediate operation and surgery to get the blood clot on the aorta, before it's too late that can cause him to become paralyzed.

Comment from: mocolp, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

My dad at 74 years old died at home on July 9, 2011 from AAA rupture. He was dead within 4 minutes. My doctor stated this is hereditary and that all family members should get an ultrasound on their aortic in their stomach. It was very sad to watch my Dad die and there was nothing I or anyone else could have done to help him. He had already passed by the time EMT's arrived. As far I know, since I was in the house close by him, he never made a sound for pain; it just took his life. So please see your doctor if there is heart disease in your family.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.