Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?

Comment from: jesus, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I have been having lower back pain on and off for many years. I thought it was related to arthritis. I went for a physical and my doctor discovered it by palpation and auscultation. I went for an abdominal ultrasound and it was there (an aneurysm). I will have to get an ultra sound every year as a preventative measure.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I was having severe pain in my right hip, but being a guy just assumed it would pass. The next morning I couldn't get out of bed due to unbelievable pain in the hip. My 9 year old daughter called my wife crying saying she didn't know what to do. My wife called an ambulance and I was taken to the hospital where they did a CT scan for kidney stones and found a 4cm AAA. They placed a stint 2 days later and all is well so far. Thank goodness that where the aneurysm was growing, it was pressing on the nerve or else I would have never known about it. The twice yearly monitoring I have to go through for the rest of my life is a small price to pay for getting to see my daughter turn 10.

Comment from: amanda, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

My neighbor just died from abdominal aortic aneurysm. He had a heart attack six months ago in May. He had two stents put in and was supposed to go to the doctor one week later. He didn't go. He had severe pain and bleeding while urinating. That was for 2 to 3 days. The pain and bleeding stopped. He thought he was fine. Two days later he collapsed in his back yard and the ambulance came. His wife told us he had four blood transfusions while at the local hospital. A helicopter came but he died before they could get him to the other hospital. This is something that could have been prevented had he gone to his doctor's appointments.

Comment from: seldomsomber, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I am a 65 year old female. My abdominal aortic aneurysm pain was masked by having ulcerative colitis. I was used to pain in my stomach and back. I developed high blood pressure, not unusual at my age. I just started to feel bad. I was taken to emergency care twice and was told it was because my blood pressure wasn't under control. Finally, a country doctor listened to my lower stomach, and said I had sounds that concerned him. He sent me for a CAT scan. I had a dissected (6cm) aortic aneurysm. Since my blood pressure was high and not seemly controllable, I was sent to a specialist that hospitalized me and placed a stint in through my groin. He said I was very lucky. My recovery was easy, my blood pressure, although not perfect, became controllable and two years later I am doing fine.

Comment from: Casper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was shopping when I felt a sudden heat and pain in my esophagus area, then felt like I was going to pass out. Next thing was my right leg started to go numb and I was in a cold sweat and pretty much collapsed. Luckily I was in a public place and got taken to hospital. The ambulance drivers were harassing me about whether I had taken a drug overdose, meanwhile I was screaming in agony as my whole leg went totally numb and the pain was worse than childbirth. I was threatened with being put in restraints if I didn't be quiet.

Comment from: Eric, 55-64 Male Published: November 23

My father-in-law suffered a stomach pain for almost 2 weeks from now. And we brought him to a doctor for consultation, with doctors advised he must go on ultrasound for further medical observation. We got his ultrasound last week thursday. And it was seen in the ultrasound that he has a abdominal aortic aneurysm.But, we were shock about the result. We go more further medical observation through a CT Scan on Abdomen. Still it was the same but, there is no sign of rupture. The doctors advised he must go on immediate operation and surgery to get the blood clot on the aorta, before its too late that can cause him paralyzed.

Comment from: titofda, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I have been experiencing severe back pain for about a month. There were two particular instances where the back pain was so bad and restricting, that I could not stand up or walk for a minute or so. I went in to see my doctor for this severe back pain. He diagnosed arthritis and suggested that he can order an X-ray if I wanted. I told him I wanted the X-ray hoping it would pick up a pinched nerve or a bulging disk. To my surprise the doctor's office called me and told me that the X-ray picked up an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). I am going for an ultrasound tomorrow.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.