Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?

Comment from: jesus, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I have been having lower back pain on and off for many years. I thought it was related to arthritis. I went for a physical and my doctor discovered it by palpation and auscultation. I went for an abdominal ultrasound and it was there (an aneurysm). I will have to get an ultra sound every year as a preventative measure.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I was having severe pain in my right hip, but being a guy just assumed it would pass. The next morning I couldn't get out of bed due to unbelievable pain in the hip. My 9 year old daughter called my wife crying saying she didn't know what to do. My wife called an ambulance and I was taken to the hospital where they did a CT scan for kidney stones and found a 4cm AAA. They placed a stint 2 days later and all is well so far. Thank goodness that where the aneurysm was growing, it was pressing on the nerve or else I would have never known about it. The twice yearly monitoring I have to go through for the rest of my life is a small price to pay for getting to see my daughter turn 10.

Comment from: amanda, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

My neighbor just died from abdominal aortic aneurysm. He had a heart attack six months ago in May. He had two stents put in and was supposed to go to the doctor one week later. He didn't go. He had severe pain and bleeding while urinating. That was for 2 to 3 days. The pain and bleeding stopped. He thought he was fine. Two days later he collapsed in his back yard and the ambulance came. His wife told us he had four blood transfusions while at the local hospital. A helicopter came but he died before they could get him to the other hospital. This is something that could have been prevented had he gone to his doctor's appointments.

Comment from: big dave, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I have been swelling just below my navel on my left side. I have had extensive lower back pain on both sides of my spine. I went in to have an MRI of my lower back and they told me I may have an aneurysm. I think a blood clot could have broken loose from a previous ankle sprain and has traveled up my leg and lodged in the aorta. I'm awaiting my CT scan results as I type. Hope I catch it before it ruptures.

Comment from: cherylanne, 75 or over Male Published: July 12

On 14th March this year, my father woke with pain in his groin and abdomen. This then moved to his lower back. He became concerned and called 911 and was taken to A&E dept. He was listed as having abdominal pain (why didn't they recognize the symptoms?) and made to wait on a trolley for 2 hours because the unit was busy. The aneurism finally ruptured and all hell broke loose with Nurses and doctors everywhere. Unfortunately it was too late and dad didn't survive due to massive blood loss. We were not aware he had this or we would have insisted on a scan when he was admitted. Please make a noise and don't allow this to happen to your loved one!

Comment from: cookies, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

My aneurysm was discovered in August of 2010 by accident after a CT scan for a different condition. They immediately referred me to a surgeon who scheduled another CT scan in November of 2010. The results showed the size to be 5.5 cm. After discussing with my surgeon, we scheduled another meeting in February of 2011, and he ordered another CT scan, which I had done yesterday. My next meeting with my surgeon will be in a week. He will have the latest results of my CT scan and from all the research I've done on the web. I'm certain surgery will be scheduled. My son-in-law is a physician, so I asked him to evaluate the surgeon I've been seeing. He gave him very good references. All the other research I've done has given me confidence in his ability to be "my surgeon.” I'm looking forward to getting this over with so I can continue my strength and conditioning exercises at the YMCA. I'm 69 years old and want to stay young as long as possible, but it is what it is.

Comment from: seldomsomber, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I am a 65 year old female. My abdominal aortic aneurysm pain was masked by having ulcerative colitis. I was used to pain in my stomach and back. I developed high blood pressure, not unusual at my age. I just started to feel bad. I was taken to emergency care twice and was told it was because my blood pressure wasn't under control. Finally, a country doctor listened to my lower stomach, and said I had sounds that concerned him. He sent me for a CAT scan. I had a dissected (6cm) aortic aneurysm. Since my blood pressure was high and not seemly controllable, I was sent to a specialist that hospitalized me and placed a stint in through my groin. He said I was very lucky. My recovery was easy, my blood pressure, although not perfect, became controllable and two years later I am doing fine.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.