Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 01

My husband was only 48 when he was found to have a leaking AAA. We had a long wait to find out exactly what the severe pain was because of his age it was misdiagnosed as a kidney stone, diverticulitis amongst others. But thank heavens the aneurysm was discovered before it was fatal. His father had an AAA at 62 so I would say to others to keep nagging for a scan if there is excruciating abdominal pain or possibility of hereditary links. I would like to say cant fault NHS care for resulting treatment of AAA

Comment from: ben, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 20

A month ago my 78 year old Caucasian cousin was laying on the couch watching TV with his hand on his stomach. He felt his heart beating under his hand which he though was odd because it had never been there before. He went to the doctor's office the next day and 2 weeks later had surgery for this a-a-aneurism right near the branch to the kidney. He is recovering now.

Comment from: rosa johnson, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

In 2004 my sister had an abdominal aneurysm. She was in her 40s. While talking on the phone she suddenly felt intense pain, boring pain in her abdomen. She went to patient 1st clinic after delaying about 6 hours, they were closed. The next morning she went back and white cell count was high so they transferred her to emergency room. Finally she was diagnosed 24 hours after her abdominal aneurism had burst. A blood clot had lodged in her intestines and she lost most of her intestines due to sepsis, miraculously she is still alive today. She has never been healthy since but she is still alive. So if something feels wrong don't delay getting checked out.

Comment from: Blessed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a serious pancreas surgery done and was recovering at home. I had been out of the hospital for two weeks. For a couple days, I was not hungry and forced myself to eat for my recovery's sake. In the morning, I had eaten a waffle when all of a sudden I got very nauseous and started throwing up without being able to stop. My sons were going to take me into the hospital, but I knew somehow that that was not going to work, and they called 911. I started vomiting blood in the ambulance. By the time we got to the hospital, my blood pressure was really low and they were having me sign forms for blood transfusions. Within the hour, I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm rupture. I lost 10 units of blood and coded. I am very blessed to be here telling my story, hoping to save someone else. Instead of surgery, they used these coils that they put into the artery to close it off, and it worked. It took seven coils. If you feel as if there is something not right, there is nothing wrong with getting a doctor to look at it. It's better to be safe than sorry. It's been seven weeks, and I am getting stronger every day.

Comment from: big dave, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I have been swelling just below my navel on my left side. I have had extensive lower back pain on both sides of my spine. I went in to have an MRI of my lower back and they told me I may have an aneurysm. I think a blood clot could have broken loose from a previous ankle sprain and has traveled up my leg and lodged in the aorta. I'm awaiting my CT scan results as I type. Hope I catch it before it ruptures.

Comment from: cherylanne, 75 or over Male Published: July 12

On 14th March this year, my father woke with pain in his groin and abdomen. This then moved to his lower back. He became concerned and called 911 and was taken to A&E dept. He was listed as having abdominal pain (why didn't they recognize the symptoms?) and made to wait on a trolley for 2 hours because the unit was busy. The aneurism finally ruptured and all hell broke loose with Nurses and doctors everywhere. Unfortunately it was too late and dad didn't survive due to massive blood loss. We were not aware he had this or we would have insisted on a scan when he was admitted. Please make a noise and don't allow this to happen to your loved one!

Comment from: cookies, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

My aneurysm was discovered in August of 2010 by accident after a CT scan for a different condition. They immediately referred me to a surgeon who scheduled another CT scan in November of 2010. The results showed the size to be 5.5 cm. After discussing with my surgeon, we scheduled another meeting in February of 2011, and he ordered another CT scan, which I had done yesterday. My next meeting with my surgeon will be in a week. He will have the latest results of my CT scan and from all the research I've done on the web. I'm certain surgery will be scheduled. My son-in-law is a physician, so I asked him to evaluate the surgeon I've been seeing. He gave him very good references. All the other research I've done has given me confidence in his ability to be "my surgeon.” I'm looking forward to getting this over with so I can continue my strength and conditioning exercises at the YMCA. I'm 69 years old and want to stay young as long as possible, but it is what it is.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.