Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Comment from: jules, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I had a 5 centimeter AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm) found accidently while undergoing a CT scan for other issues. I am a 54 years old woman ex-smoker. I was referred to a vascular surgeon who operated immediately as an open surgery. I had 60 staples, from below my breast bone to above my pubic bone. My recovery was quick, I was 7 days in hospital, home afterwards. After the second week, I worked from home for 2 weeks, then went back to work on the 4th week. Incision is healing but gets very hot and hard, my stomach is still swollen and I get funny pains from time to time. I am told it is the nerve endings healing. I am now 8 weeks post operation. Funny I have read where this is a very dangerous and major operation right up there with open heart surgery, but for some reason never realized how dangerous an operation it was before I had the operation. Good thing, otherwise I would of been a wreck! Thank goodness it is over and I am pretty much back to normal. I can't wait for all the swelling to subside and my scar to fade!

Comment from: pattywac, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had a heart attack in 2010, widow maker, with successful stent. Six months later after several urinary tract infections, abdominal CT showed 3.7 abdominal aortic aneurysm. It has been followed with ultrasound and CTs regularly, now up to 4 cm. Problem is I have back pain, side pain, and abdominal pain from chronic diarrhea and diverticulosis so I never know what is causing my pain.

Comment from: annj, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

My brother is in the hospital due to abdominal pain, doctors found out he has a ruptured heart valve. Abdominal aortic aneurism was formed because of the said condition. Doctors suggest to perform stent for the abdomen before the bypass operation of his heart but cannot perform because of the bacteria found in his stomach that should be healed first. Up to now he is still suffering the abdominal pain. The bacteria is still there even with the most effective antibiotic applied. We cannot perform surgery or stent up to now. He is just 39 years old and seeing him suffering up to now is painful. Our family already spent all our resources for him to heal but up to now he is still suffering and we don't not know how to end this problem. Our family is suffering from financial, emotional, mental and physical pain because of this problem. I hope some miracle will heal him and give him another chance.

Comment from: walabee, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 03

I had a pancreatitis attack and went for ultrasound and CT scan. They discovered I had a 43 cm aneurysm in my aorta and one in my left iliac. My abdominal aortic aneurysm grew to 5.4 cm and the vascular surgeon suggested it's time to proceed. All has gone well after the surgery with a couple of problems. Firstly I was constipated for a week, and secondly, when they pulled the catheter, I can no longer at this time, urinate standing up as there is no longer any direction for it to go except sideways. Also I still have terrible stomach cramps, like it feels like a full bladder. And, my right leg from the buttock down to my knee hurts terrible when I walk a very short distance; only when I walk, not sitting or sleeping.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) two years ago and had surgery done with the mesh insert. My first symptoms were, when I stood up I would feel like electrical pulses were running down my legs. I went to the hospital and they noticed my baby toe on the left side was black. I was admitted to ICU for 15 days then went to another hospital where I received my surgery. Now, I am in considerable pain (7 on the scale) every day. I live in my bed and suffer terribly. My doctors seem to just give me more pain medication. I am at my wits' end. I am 62 years old and I am begging for help.

Comment from: Papa, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 03

My husband had his abdominal aortic aneurysm in 2013, he is fine now, and everything went fine. His only big problem is he has a huge bulge on that side of his stomach that does not hurt, but he is so embarrassed about. He is alive and healthy, but this really upsets him.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.