Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Comment from: Danny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 57, and ex-smoker. I went into hospital for stomach pain, x-ray showed I had diverticulitis, but they noticed an abdominal aortic aneurysm 7.5cm. They cured the infection which took three weeks of antibiotics, and then I went in for surgery which took 5 hours. They cut me just under the breastbone down around the navel and continued down. The surgery went very well, very little blood loss, and they inserted a stent and a Dacron graft. No issues or problems later. Everything turned out perfect. I am eating healthier and exercising regularly. Everything is good!

Comment from: Teds, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I had a pain in my side, and felt constipated. X-ray showed a twisted colon, they did a CT scan to confirm and up popped a 4.8 cm X 6.5 cm abdominal aortic aneurysm, with signs of being close to bursting. No twisted colon, which I find strange. They also found a lump on my kidney, 3.5 cm that they think caused the initial pain. Currently I am scheduled for a stent repair in a few days. I would suggest everyone should be screened after age 60 at least, it would save a lot of lives.

Comment from: jules, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I had a 5 centimeter AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm) found accidently while undergoing a CT scan for other issues. I am a 54 years old woman ex-smoker. I was referred to a vascular surgeon who operated immediately as an open surgery. I had 60 staples, from below my breast bone to above my pubic bone. My recovery was quick, I was 7 days in hospital, home afterwards. After the second week, I worked from home for 2 weeks, then went back to work on the 4th week. Incision is healing but gets very hot and hard, my stomach is still swollen and I get funny pains from time to time. I am told it is the nerve endings healing. I am now 8 weeks post operation. Funny I have read where this is a very dangerous and major operation right up there with open heart surgery, but for some reason never realized how dangerous an operation it was before I had the operation. Good thing, otherwise I would of been a wreck! Thank goodness it is over and I am pretty much back to normal. I can't wait for all the swelling to subside and my scar to fade!

Comment from: pattywac, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had a heart attack in 2010, widow maker, with successful stent. Six months later after several urinary tract infections, abdominal CT showed 3.7 abdominal aortic aneurysm. It has been followed with ultrasound and CTs regularly, now up to 4 cm. Problem is I have back pain, side pain, and abdominal pain from chronic diarrhea and diverticulosis so I never know what is causing my pain.

Comment from: annj, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

My brother is in the hospital due to abdominal pain, doctors found out he has a ruptured heart valve. Abdominal aortic aneurism was formed because of the said condition. Doctors suggest to perform stent for the abdomen before the bypass operation of his heart but cannot perform because of the bacteria found in his stomach that should be healed first. Up to now he is still suffering the abdominal pain. The bacteria is still there even with the most effective antibiotic applied. We cannot perform surgery or stent up to now. He is just 39 years old and seeing him suffering up to now is painful. Our family already spent all our resources for him to heal but up to now he is still suffering and we don't not know how to end this problem. Our family is suffering from financial, emotional, mental and physical pain because of this problem. I hope some miracle will heal him and give him another chance.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have a 5 cm abdominal aortic aneurysm and I am only 46 years old. I am a healthy person who enjoys a healthy life style to the full. I don't smoke or lift heavy things. Not sure what to do now. I am feeling vulnerable and frightened.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.