Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Comment from: islander, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My dear dad had a routine screening for this (abdominal aortic aneurysm) in July 2013 and they discovered that he had an aneurysm 5cm in size. We live on a remote island and he travelled back and forth to the mainland several times over the next few months to meet with specialists and to have heart and lung tests. Eventually in November they decided he was far enough for the operation but still did not issue him with a date, by that time the aneurysm had grown to 6.5cm. He travelled back home to wait for a date for his operation but passed away a few days later. He was 66 years old and my mum was with him at the end. He was sick for three days before he died and the doctor who had seen him on the day of his death gave him anti sickness tablets instead if treating his aneurysm. He woke in pain during the night and asked my mum to call 999. He walked downstairs to wait for the ambulance but didn't make it to the local hospital in time, there was even an air ambulance waiting to take him to a bigger hospital but it was all too late.

Comment from: tonyt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

My 77 year old aunt recently had surgery for an AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm) that was 9.9 cm. The doctor told her that if she had any close blood relatives they should be tested for an aneurysm because they could be hereditary. My mom, who is her twin sister, was tested and found that she also had one that is 6 cm. in size. As a result of her diagnosis, I decided to be tested. I was found to also have an aneurysm that is 3.9 cm. I am a 59 year old male who never smoked, no high blood pressure, no high cholesterol who walked about 5 miles a day for most of my life. If you have a relative who has an AAA, I urge you to be checked.

Comment from: luckychic!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am 47 and before June 4, 2013 was in good health. I walked 4 miles twice a day, could have lost a few pounds mostly for vanity. I got home after work, took a long walk with my dog, bent over to take off his leash and bam! It felt like I was shot in the back. I woke up two days later and was told I died, apparently my aorta burst 21 inches! My doctor didn't think I could be saved but tried and succeeded. He said when he did blood transfusion I came to life, my recovery was miraculous, I'm so incredibly grateful. I'm now at a point where I'm not sure what I can and can't do. My doctors say I'll never drive a truck again, I can't do anything stressful or strenuous, basically not much. They say it might be a year or permanent. My doctors said 99.9% of people that have this die.

Comment from: daughter, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 17

One month ago, my father, 55, complained of back and stomach pains. He began yelling out and turned white saying he couldn't breathe. We called 911 and he was rushed to the ER. We thought he was having a heart attack because he has suffered these before. A CT scan revealed that he had ruptured an unknown abdominal aortic aneurysm and would need emergency surgery. The vascular surgeon arrived and advised us to say goodbye. He gave us only 10 percent chance of survival saying he would try his best to save my dad, but it didn't look good. Eleven hours of straight surgery later and dad was wheeled into ICU. This began a 24 hour vigil because soon after his kidneys failed. Two days later we were told his legs would need amputation as the surgeon performed an operation, cutting huge gaps into his legs to drain fluid from them so they could get circulation. Parts of his digestive tract were damaged and removed. Every nurse, every doctor looked at me and my family with sorrowful eyes saying he didn't look good. It has now been one month. Dad is in physical therapy. He took 60 steps with a walker today. He urinated 200cc's. The doctors were amazed. His vascular surgeon in particular is an angel on earth. NEVER GIVE UP HOPE! And tell everyone young and old about AAA - its a silent killer!

Comment from: martin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I experienced a bulge above and underneath my navel which grew to cover both sides of the navel as well. With antibiotics, the sides relaxed but top and bottom are still swollen. My navel did not pop. I don't think it is a belly bottom hernia. I do have a history of a hardened aorta where the right heart chamber is bigger than the left. My left ventricle is also leaking blood. Symptoms: Very feverish and uncomfortable especially when climbing stairs. I experience semi-impotency (perhaps due to high blood pressure and medicines). It feels as if I have been kicked in stomach from time to time. Sleeplessness, urinating often, a lot of water in system, swollen feet, etc.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.