Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Comment from: Molly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My aortic aneurysm started with sudden numbness in both legs and severe pain in my abdomen and back. The operation consisted of five bypasses in my abdomen. After the operation, I was told it would take six months for things to settle back. It's now 15 months and I'm still not 100%. I have difficulty walking distances as pain starts again in my legs. I now use a walking stick.

Published: July 09

My 72 year old mother had emergency surgery and was given a less than 5% chance of survival. She did pull through, however, she was given medicine that gave her a rash over her entire body and was kept unconscious for her own well being, 3 weeks later she needed another emergency surgery because the stent was defective. She suffered another 5 weeks until finally passing away. Her only symptom was a lower back ache the night prior. If I had known how much she would have suffered, I never would have allowed the surgery. The local hospital and doctor was a joke, even the nurses told us to move her once she got stronger to the State hospital, but unfortunately she never was.

Comment from: Shirles, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My 55 year old brother died suddenly after seeing doctor after doctor and having multiple tests done for abdominal pain. He was told the pain was in his head. I suspect it was in his aorta.

Comment from: Elliot, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I think I am suffering from Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, but I do not know where to go to for help. My lower back feels very tired every time. I have been like that since November.

Comment from: jhawkie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

Just had an abdominal aortic aneurysm repaired. This is the fourth aneurysm I have had, what are the chances of my getting a fifth. The first was a ruptured brain aneurysm, the second and third were on my right lung.

Published: August 01

This is a silent killer. Caught mine by accident on an MRI of my stomach. I had the stent done and was out of hospital next day. Had three MRI 's since then and all is well. Please, if you're over sixty have your self checked out.

Published: July 21

There is a genetic link to this (perhaps not always). My uncle was being treated for something else and the doctors found the beginnings of an abdominal aortic aneurysm. They repaired it and had him tell all of his brothers to get checked for it. My stubborn dad didn't. He "hated doctors" and didn't trust them. He died a very painful death from this on Easter Sunday about six years ago. Please, if someone in your family has had this: Get checked out!

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.