Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Comment from: Stan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a 67-year-old male with a family history of high cholesterol and have had heart problems since I was in my early 40s. I have had three coronary bypass surgeries, and I suffered one heart attack about seven years ago. I also had atrial fibrillation about 10 years ago and had an ablation to resolve the problem. With all of my heart problems, I have been on Statins and Niacin for my cholesterol since my 40s. I am also taking Beta Blockers, although I never did have high blood pressure. Seven years ago during a routine medical exam, my cardiologist commented that I had a "pulsating abdominal aorta." This did not mean much to me at the time, but over the next several years, he continued to check and measure in the area of the aorta on my abdomen. About three years ago, I had a CT scan of my pelvis and abdomen done because I had a high reading on a PSA test. It turned out that the high PSA was caused by a bladder infection, but it also highlighted the aortic aneurysm and gave a reading of 4.5 cm. My doctors informed me that they would monitor the aneurysm with regular CT scans every six months. I have been getting these scans since then and the aneurysm is stable. My last exam this month showed it was 4.4 to 4.7 cm. My cardiologists say that I am a candidate for a stent if and when the aneurysm enlarges to 5.0 cm or larger. I recommend a scan for everyone who is at risk for an aneurysm.

Comment from: pinky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I just got out of ICU with abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) this past week. It was discovered when I checked myself into the emergency room (ER) with a stomachache. I am also in perfect health and a marathon runner. Now the doctors told me no more running or heavy lifting or any extreme exercise. I'm so afraid to go back to the gym or do anything. I don't want this condition taking over my active life.

Comment from: vet69729, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I fell 10 feet from the top of a folding attic ladder in July 2012. I ended up with a # 9 fractured rib at that time. During the course up until the present day, I encountered foot numbness and neuropathy pain and last September an MRI found an abdominal aortic aneurysm 4.5 cm in size. The Veteran Affairs won't touch it until it reaches 5.0. I'm wondering if there is anything that would reduce this without any surgery, such as C2O2.

Comment from: Verardi, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I am 80 years old in fairly good shape. My brother died of cancer at pancreas. I was told siblings can have the same problem. I asked for a CT scan and the results: pancreas was ok but they found an abdominal aorta aneurism and other 2 aneurisms at the iliac (right and left). Now the abdominal aorta aneurysm has reached 4cm 6 mm.

Comment from: AAA wife, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My husband, a 40-year-old smoker with close family history of abdominal aortic aneurysm, went for his yearly physical this spring. Because he is thin, the doctor felt what he thought might have abdominal aortic aneurysm and referred him to a vascular surgeon. Sure enough, CT scan revealed a 6 cm aneurysm too close to the renal arteries to allow a stent. He was scheduled for open chest surgery, but two days before that, we got a call from his surgeon saying that my husband was a good candidate for a fenestrated stent that had recently been approved by the FDA. The surgeon set up an appointment with a university teaching hospital physician and my husband had the surgery 5 weeks later. The surgery couldn't have gone better (out of the hospital in 2 days), but he is experiencing fluctuating blood pressure and extreme tiredness. I guess that's to be expected after a 6-hour surgery.

Comment from: Kavitha, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 02

Two days ago, my dad complained of stomach and abdominal pain. He thought it was just some gas problem and went to bed. By morning, the pain developed rapidly and he had fits. We rushed him to the hospital, and they did a CT scan. He was diagnosed with an abdominal aorta aneurysm rupture. He went through an operation immediately. The doctor broke our heart saying that he had 10% chance of because he had a cardiac arrest during the operation. We were devastated. My dad is only 56, and he was just playing with my 2-year-old son before the pain started. It has been two days since then. He is smiling at us and says he will make it.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.