Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Published: June 26

I am a 73-year-old male and my aneurysm was discovered in 1999 by accident. I have had an ultrasound or MRI every six months since. In March 2008, almost 10 years later, it finally passed 5 cm and I was referred to UCLA Medical Center for repair. In June 2008, I received the stent procedure whereby they enter the artery through the groin area and implant a stent to support the weak spot. I was in the hospital one day and had several days of discomfort but now everything seems alright. My blood pressure has now dropped, and I use only about 25% of the medication I used to take. I am looking forward to a long and healthy life. Mine appears to be genetic because I had a brother that also had one.

Comment from: derek58, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 26

My father had surgery on his aorta that developed an aneurysm. His surgeon said his aneurysm was larger than they thought. It took them longer to remove it. When we visited him in the ICU his whole body and face was swollen and his eyes were bulging.

Comment from: sweisenburg, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

Since surgery for my aortic aneurysm I no longer ejaculate.

Comment from: Rhonda, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 09

I take care of a heart patient with blockage. Too risky to operate on anymore. He is 68. He was on external counterpulsation therapy. Four weeks into therapy developed a side pain...after long investigative process and neglect of hospital emergency doctors who told him it was symptoms of something else. So aside from that the question is if the counterpulsation therapy caused this finding of an abdominal aortic aneurysm size 4.4. He stopped the counterpulsation but now has a different problem. Don't know if it was already ballooned or not.

Comment from: Pav, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I am a 66-yearr-old male of Caucasian origin. Until Feb. 8, 2008, I had no inkling of a growing AAA. But mid-morning that Friday, I suddenly felt sick to my stomach and vomited. Then I began blacking out. My wife called an ambulance. I was diagnosed properly as having an AAA, and a vascular surgeon and his team saved my life. Now I'm pretty much back to normal. For years, walking has been my main way to exercise.

Comment from: patientAAA, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

I am 68 years of age,male and in good health and was working till I suffered severe abdominal and lower back pain. On diagnosis I learned that I had abdominal aortic aneurysm,and was advised to undergo surgery immediately as the swelling was 5.5cms. I was a smoker for nearly 50 years. The surgery lasted for about four hours. Today, two years after the surgery, I am normal in most respects and go about leading a retired life.

Comment from: Janet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

After having a CT scan done for a back problem my internist called me three weeks later and said we have a problem. An abdominal aortic aneurysm was found in my lower abdominal aorta. Further tests showed that it was 4.2 centimeters. I was told by the specialist I saw that it would need monitoring in twelve months to see if it had grown. Needless to say, I was petrified to have to wait so long. I had my first two heart attacks at age 40, four by-passes done in 1982, and another three done in 1984. They failed in the first month and am on my second ICD. During angioplasty in 1994 on a twelve-year-old by-pass, the artery disintegrated and killed the muscle on the right side of my heart and my heart function is now at 20 percent. I feel as though I have a time bomb ticking in my body and it is very frightening.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 25

In 1998 my father had a dissecting aortic arch aneurysm. He was given a 30% survival rate, and lives. Ten years later he has endured repair surgery for aortic arch graft, two pacemakers (which is doing 98/100% of his hearts work), arrhythmia requiring three scheduled defibrillation treatments, abdominal aortic aneurysm repair below the renal region, and two aneurysms behind each of his knees. The post op affects ranged from vocal cord paralysis to limited kidney function, slight loss of mental capacity, as in short term memory and comprehension. And we considered ourselves to be of the lucky ones coming upon the 10 year anniversary of the ruptured aneurysm that started it all. My dads quality of life has been amazingly good despite the surgeries, procedures, endless follow up and maintenance....and the waiting, while each of the aneurysms grew big enough to repair. About a month ago he became nauseous and the doctor performed a CT scan to rule out a bowel obstruction and noted and enlargement of the aorta, another aneurysm was found between the arch repair and the lower abdominal repair. This seems to be the only remaining natural aorta, and the aneurysm is about 7 to 8 cm at this time. A full scan of his aorta is set for the end of this month, and an angiogram to see that his heart is healthy enough for the surgery. Providing he is candidate for the operation, his fifth aneurysm repair will be performed.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.