Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Comment from: Lynn , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am a 46 year old female with a long history of heart problems. I have had a double valve replacement and have a 'variant' form of Marfans. I am under the watchful eye of a fantastic team of vascular specialists. For a good while now, my aneurysm measured 5.1cm. Yesterday it was measured at 5.4. My surgeon has previously told me that because of my medical history, he'd prefer to wait until it reaches 6cm. But quite honestly the stress is absolutely awful. The thought of it just 'popping' is horrendous given the fact that I'd probably not even make it to the hospital! I have a 14 year old son and to say I'm worried is an understatement.

Comment from: virginia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I just turned 40 and have a congenital heart disorder - a bicuspid aortic valve. I am being followed by a cardiologist. On my last visit they decided to do an ultrasound of the abdomen and that is when it was determined that I had an AAA measuring 3.0cm. The cardiologist stated that he was not overly concerned. I too suffer from lower back pain but I thought the condition was related to exercise or work. I will keep monitoring both conditions carefully.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a 65-year-old woman in excellent health except for a problem with my lower spine. It was during an MRI for that condition that my abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) was discovered by accident. It was only 3.4 cm, so I was put on a six-month watch. Two very nervous years later, the aneurysm passed the 5 cm mark and successful surgery was performed. I am writing because I just read about the risk of AAA in siblings of AAA patients. I wasn't told of this, and I'm very sure my two sisters are not aware of it either. Of course, I'm in the process of notifying them, but I wanted to let others know of this as well. If you have a sibling who has had an AAA, then you should be screened, especially if you're over the age of 60. This is a very frightening condition, and I'm glad to be over it!

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: August 12

My husband died this year due to a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. During the night, he complained of a pain in his lower abdomen. At about midnight, he collapsed and turned yellow. I called 911, and he was transported to our local hospital where I was told his condition was very grave. The staff was very good to me and worked tirelessly on him, kept his heart pumping, and tried to ease his pain with morphine. Our local hospital did not have a vascular surgeon on hand so we were flown to the city by helicopter. The paramedics on the helicopter were giving him CPR practically the whole way down, about 25 minutes. He died very shortly after arriving, at 4:40 am. It was a total shock as he did not have any prior symptoms. However, he was being monitored for high blood pressure and was taking cholesterol medications. He was always fighting an overweight problem. He was 68. If you are over 65, have yourself screened, it may save your life. I still can't believe it happened so quickly.

Published: July 28

My father recently died from aortic aneurysm. He had no history and no symptoms; he developed pain in his chest and back area. We called 911 he was transported to the local hospital where he passed away within 45 minutes of his first pain. I recommend everyone to be checked for this condition. He never was sick, did not take any medication and lived his life to the fullest until the first pain. He had no symptoms. This was a complete shock to us. Please make sure to be checked for this. This should be included in all history and tests be taken to determine if a person has this. It could save your life.

Published: June 26

I am a 73-year-old male and my aneurysm was discovered in 1999 by accident. I have had an ultrasound or MRI every six months since. In March 2008, almost 10 years later, it finally passed 5 cm and I was referred to UCLA Medical Center for repair. In June 2008, I received the stent procedure whereby they enter the artery through the groin area and implant a stent to support the weak spot. I was in the hospital one day and had several days of discomfort but now everything seems alright. My blood pressure has now dropped, and I use only about 25% of the medication I used to take. I am looking forward to a long and healthy life. Mine appears to be genetic because I had a brother that also had one.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.