Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Comment from: Verardi, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I am 80 years old in fairly good shape. My brother died of cancer at pancreas. I was told siblings can have the same problem. I asked for a CT scan and the results: pancreas was ok but they found an abdominal aorta aneurism and other 2 aneurisms at the iliac (right and left). Now the abdominal aorta aneurysm has reached 4cm 6 mm.

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 29

My father just passed away on January 12, 2014 from this. He had cancer for 4 1/2 years and was deteriorating anyway. I talked to him Thursday morning and he sounded weak. He had been drinking in the past week so I assumed he was drunk since he had terminal cancer and was trying to deal with it. I kept calling later and could not get an answer. I finally sent the police on a Saturday. The coroner said he died of a gastro intestinal aneurysm. I saw where he threw up blood. I cannot bear the thought of him suffering.

Comment from: martin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I experienced a bulge above and underneath my navel which grew to cover both sides of the navel as well. With antibiotics, the sides relaxed but top and bottom are still swollen. My navel did not pop. I don't think it is a belly bottom hernia. I do have a history of a hardened aorta where the right heart chamber is bigger than the left. My left ventricle is also leaking blood. Symptoms: Very feverish and uncomfortable especially when climbing stairs. I experience semi-impotency (perhaps due to high blood pressure and medicines). It feels as if I have been kicked in stomach from time to time. Sleeplessness, urinating often, a lot of water in system, swollen feet, etc.

Comment from: Kel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I just want to try and make everybody as aware of this condition as I can! I am a 27-year-old female and am a very healthy and active individual. I went to the doctor with abdominal and back pain just last week because I could not take the pain anymore. He felt my abdomen and sent me off to get an ultrasound. He called me back into his office two days later and explained to me that I have an abdominal aortic aneurysm and that they were sending me to see a specialist. I was in complete shock! Had I not gone in for the pain, and if it had just gone away on its own, I would have had no idea! I'm still completely shocked at the news. As rare as it is that I do have it at this age, it still can happen. I encourage everybody to go get themselves checked out!

Comment from: Stan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a 67-year-old male with a family history of high cholesterol and have had heart problems since I was in my early 40s. I have had three coronary bypass surgeries, and I suffered one heart attack about seven years ago. I also had atrial fibrillation about 10 years ago and had an ablation to resolve the problem. With all of my heart problems, I have been on Statins and Niacin for my cholesterol since my 40s. I am also taking Beta Blockers, although I never did have high blood pressure. Seven years ago during a routine medical exam, my cardiologist commented that I had a "pulsating abdominal aorta." This did not mean much to me at the time, but over the next several years, he continued to check and measure in the area of the aorta on my abdomen. About three years ago, I had a CT scan of my pelvis and abdomen done because I had a high reading on a PSA test. It turned out that the high PSA was caused by a bladder infection, but it also highlighted the aortic aneurysm and gave a reading of 4.5 cm. My doctors informed me that they would monitor the aneurysm with regular CT scans every six months. I have been getting these scans since then and the aneurysm is stable. My last exam this month showed it was 4.4 to 4.7 cm. My cardiologists say that I am a candidate for a stent if and when the aneurysm enlarges to 5.0 cm or larger. I recommend a scan for everyone who is at risk for an aneurysm.

Comment from: AAA wife, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My husband, a 40-year-old smoker with close family history of abdominal aortic aneurysm, went for his yearly physical this spring. Because he is thin, the doctor felt what he thought might have abdominal aortic aneurysm and referred him to a vascular surgeon. Sure enough, CT scan revealed a 6 cm aneurysm too close to the renal arteries to allow a stent. He was scheduled for open chest surgery, but two days before that, we got a call from his surgeon saying that my husband was a good candidate for a fenestrated stent that had recently been approved by the FDA. The surgeon set up an appointment with a university teaching hospital physician and my husband had the surgery 5 weeks later. The surgery couldn't have gone better (out of the hospital in 2 days), but he is experiencing fluctuating blood pressure and extreme tiredness. I guess that's to be expected after a 6-hour surgery.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.