Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Comment from: Papa, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 03

My husband had his abdominal aortic aneurysm in 2013, he is fine now, and everything went fine. His only big problem is he has a huge bulge on that side of his stomach that does not hurt, but he is so embarrassed about. He is alive and healthy, but this really upsets him.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) two years ago and had surgery done with the mesh insert. My first symptoms were, when I stood up I would feel like electrical pulses were running down my legs. I went to the hospital and they noticed my baby toe on the left side was black. I was admitted to ICU for 15 days then went to another hospital where I received my surgery. Now, I am in considerable pain (7 on the scale) every day. I live in my bed and suffer terribly. My doctors seem to just give me more pain medication. I am at my wits' end. I am 62 years old and I am begging for help.

Comment from: mdc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I was diagnosed on 6/28 with 4 large abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs) - one nearly 7 cm on the descending aorta, just above the iliac junction, one on the right iliac at 6.5 cm, and two on the left at 4 cm each. All found during a routine physical. By all odds, I should be dead. At 52, this is very rare - only explanation is I do exhibit some marfanoid features (sunken chest, tall, long wingspan). I had repair surgery on 7/1; lost 10 pints of blood on the table. Fortunately I was in terrific hands. I was closed up on 7/3 and discharged 8 days later. I've been recovering at home and am getting a bit stronger every day. I'm now nagging other family members to get scanned - I want to be the last one in the family to go through this on an emergency basis.

Comment from: Sarita Pandey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I am 53 years old and was diagnosed in 2012 as having infra renal abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) accidentally while undergoing USG (ultrasonography) of abdomen. At that time the size was 3.9 cm. I was on constant follow up. My CT angiography revealed it to be 4.1 cm. USG does not give the exact size of aneurysm, it is CT angiogram which gives exact size. Since then for two years I am getting my USG of abdomen every 6 months, in July 2012 USG showed it to be 4.8 cm. And rate of increase per year was also more, i.e., 7 mm. Hence CT angiography was done and it was found to be 5.6 x 5.8 cm. I got operated with planned open repair of AAA and was recovering in ICUS. After shifting to the ward I noticed my left hand is weakened and I'm unable to lift it. Doctors say it was not a stroke, only injury to nerves in the arm due to prolonged surgery and improper positions of arm during operation. Now I am recovering well and getting physiotherapy for left hand.

Comment from: direne, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 07

My husband went in for surgery April 10, after abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) was found on a scan. It was 6.7 cm, and other than that he was in average health for 66 years old, but he did smoke. After surgery he was sent to 2 more hospitals' ICU and spent 75 more days in ICU before I was able to get him home, where he passed a few short hours later. From the operation he developed kidney failure, atrial fibrillation, low blood pressure, poor white blood count, and infections after infections. After about 1 month it was found that a large part of his colon was dead and had to be cut out and a colostomy bag put in. His stomach stopped working, he was unable to take any food other than by vein, no tube in nose would work, food would just back up. When they found the colon damage, by that time it had been leaking inside him and he was septic, then they found his pancreas was also leaking the digestive fluids into his body. He had to have 3 drains to try and drain fluids, his gallbladder was damaged and liver was starting to damage due to pancreas and gallbladder. He also had a tracheostomy and was on ventilator, plus I'm sure some things I forgot to list. All of this I was told could be a result of the AAA operation and was a risk he took in having operation, but believe me, if we had known all of this I just can't believe all this was from AAA.

Comment from: larelliott, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I"m a 26 year old female in perfect health. During a routine exam my doctor found an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). I do not smoke, do not have high blood pressure or cholesterol, no one in my family that I'm aware of has ever had an AAA. I have been active in every sport there is. I have three kids and I'm not overweight. I'm 5 ft. 3, 115 lb. This just goes to show that this does not discriminate. Good luck to you all. Mine was found very early, only at 3.1 cm.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.