Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture

Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Diane, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My mother was working in the yard with me for about 40 minutes late in the morning. At 11:00 we decided to call it quits and go in the house and have lunch. My mom lives in the same house as I but has her open private suite. She was on her side of the house long enough to heat up some soup when my husband heard her yell out. Approximately 3-4 minutes had passed by now. I immediate went to check on her and it only took a second to realize something was terribly wrong. I yelled to my husband to call 911. She was writhing in pain, very pale, yelling out "it feels like I am being stabbed in my back"! I initially believed she was having a heart attack. After what seemed like a painfully long ambulance ride we arrived at the emergency department (the ride was 20 minutes long), and they diagnosed her as having an abdominal aortic aneurysm and needed immediate surgery. The vascular surgeon immediately came to the operation room and saved my 80 year old mother"s life for which we are eternally grateful. From the time my mother passed out until she was actually on the operating room table, almost 90 minutes had passed. Everyone was stunned that she survived as she had a 7 cm aneurysm with a 2 cm hole. My mother has smoked for 68 years, the last 10 being heavy smoker.

Comment from: Pat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

In 2011, January, I had flu- like symptoms for a week and was left with a pain in my abdomen, which at first I put down to flu. After about 2 weeks I went to my general practitioner who gave me antibiotics for an infection. The pain got worse and in late January I went to hospital, where they did various tests but no diagnosis. Sent me home, I returned same day with increased pain. I had emergency open surgery for abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) early February. The aneurism was discovered by ultrasound scan. Recovery took until May. I was in much pain and 10 weeks on antibiotics to remove infection which had attacked the aorta. (I have never smoked or had alcohol and am not overweight). There is no history of AAA in my family. Infection was E Coli.

Comment from: pat, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 23

My 83 year old husband had a few symtoms for 2 days. As his pain worsened, on the third day I called for an ambulance at 6:15 am and after running tests and attempted surgery he passed at 5:30 pm on the same day.

Comment from: Tommy, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 08

My 57 year old brother died of a ruptured abdominal aneurysm. He woke early in the morning with abdominal and groin pain. I didn't think it was an emergency because he was walking and talking just fine. I though he had pulled a muscle. I told him to call his doctor to find out what he should do. He called his doctor who advised him to go right to the emergency room. Just as he was about to leave for the hospital, he collapsed and turned white as a sheet. We called the paramedics who could tell his condition was grave because they could not get a blood pressure. He was alive when they got him to the hospital and right into surgery but he went into cardiac arrest during the surgery. They could not revive him. He had a doctor appointment the day before this happened but he cancelled it. He had all the risk factors such as heavy smoker for over 40 years as well as high blood pressure and cholesterol. I hope they put routine screening for this condition in place.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?