Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture

Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.

Comment from: kitkat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

My brother died last year of an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). I did not know it is hereditary and 2 months ago I had one that ruptured. I am very lucky that I am alive today. The doctor put 2 stents in my groin. Doctor also said my children should be checked when they reach 55, also my other siblings need to be checked. My symptoms were extreme pain in lower back and dizziness.

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

My sister age 59, had an abdominal aortic aneurysm that ruptured. She went to the hospital because her legs and stomach hurt. She just had a feeling something was really wrong. Emergency room (ER) took x-ray, the technologist found the aneurysm, and ran to the doctor in ER. They called a hospital, and hospital had her life-line in. She arrived, they did surgery and she recovered. Doctor said a piece of plaque broke off and stopped the bleeding (she was bleeding out). Doctors said she was the only patient they have ever had that was that bad and survived. Things did not end well though. During all this they found she had stage 4 lung cancer. She died a year and a half later. Since her death, I found out by accident I now have an aneurysm. I went for back x-rays when mine was found. My siblings have been going to get tested. I have another sister with a 5.0 aneurysm, surgery went fine. I now have a brother with a 3.0. I go back in 2 weeks for another ultra-sound to see how much bigger mine has gotten. Aneurysms are very scary, but very treatable.

Comment from: tkr survivor, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

In January 2014 I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm burst and was in ICU for 4 days. Blood count went to 4.4 and brought back to 11.4. I was allowed to go home with caution. By end of January a massive aneurysm broke, and I died twice in life flight. I had experimental surgery called a coil, was in ICU 10 days. I feel like a new person, stomach cramps and pain gone and am living well; something to consider.

Comment from: Diane, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My mother was working in the yard with me for about 40 minutes late in the morning. At 11:00 we decided to call it quits and go in the house and have lunch. My mom lives in the same house as I but has her open private suite. She was on her side of the house long enough to heat up some soup when my husband heard her yell out. Approximately 3-4 minutes had passed by now. I immediate went to check on her and it only took a second to realize something was terribly wrong. I yelled to my husband to call 911. She was writhing in pain, very pale, yelling out "it feels like I am being stabbed in my back"! I initially believed she was having a heart attack. After what seemed like a painfully long ambulance ride we arrived at the emergency department (the ride was 20 minutes long), and they diagnosed her as having an abdominal aortic aneurysm and needed immediate surgery. The vascular surgeon immediately came to the operation room and saved my 80 year old mother"s life for which we are eternally grateful. From the time my mother passed out until she was actually on the operating room table, almost 90 minutes had passed. Everyone was stunned that she survived as she had a 7 cm aneurysm with a 2 cm hole. My mother has smoked for 68 years, the last 10 being heavy smoker.

Comment from: Pat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

In 2011, January, I had flu- like symptoms for a week and was left with a pain in my abdomen, which at first I put down to flu. After about 2 weeks I went to my general practitioner who gave me antibiotics for an infection. The pain got worse and in late January I went to hospital, where they did various tests but no diagnosis. Sent me home, I returned same day with increased pain. I had emergency open surgery for abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) early February. The aneurism was discovered by ultrasound scan. Recovery took until May. I was in much pain and 10 weeks on antibiotics to remove infection which had attacked the aorta. (I have never smoked or had alcohol and am not overweight). There is no history of AAA in my family. Infection was E Coli.

Comment from: Moko, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I was just diagnosed with abdominal aortic aneurysm measuring 5.7x5.9x12.2. I still haven't heard from the specialist.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?