Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience

Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?

Comment from: Ron., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 11

Last May 2015 I woke up with a very bad lower back pain, we called 999 and I was rushed to the hospital. I had no idea what was wrong with me, just that I hurt, there were no previous symptoms. I was operated on at once (6 hours) and spent 3 days in intensive care, and for the first week I had no idea what was happening. I was then told that I had had an abdominal aortic aneurysm and it was 7.5 cm and that it had been repaired with a nasogastric tube, I think that is a stent. I left the hospital after 20 days. I had to learn to walk again and I had lost 1.5 stone in weight (good) and now 9 months later I feel great with no symptoms at all, just a 15 inch scar down my chest and some pills that my doctor says that I must take. Not bad for an 81 year old. I have been told that I am very lucky and I think that I am.

Comment from: CAM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

Well, I am still alive after a 6.3 cm abdominal aortic aneurysm. However my kidney and my legs didn't fare so well. Soon I will be on dialysis and will have to wait for my legs to be repaired. But I had the best doctor in the world. My father had one as well 17 years ago and still he is going strong. Ask all the questions you can before you go under the knife. Good luck.

Comment from: john, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 16

When I had surgery for bladder cancer they found I had a 3.2 abdominal aortic aneurysm. That was over three years ago and in checking the cancer they also checked the aneurysm. A month ago it grew to 5.1 and a surgery was done last week. I am doing fine but the important thing is that I am 90 years old, so do not give up.

Comment from: elf, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: November 07

Abdominal aortic aneurysm is a very scary disease. My father died at 51 from an aortic aneurysm. He was being treated for a panic attack, but knew he was dying and told my mother to call his kids to say good bye. Fast Forward 27 years, my oldest brother had one this week at age 55 and survived. My second oldest brother died two years ago from one. My third oldest brother survived one a year ago at age 50. Not done yet, my baby brother, at age 36 had one a year and a half ago and survived. My doctor says not to worry. It seems to be more the men in my family. I live in fear of this happening. It has already taken two and almost taken two more of my immediate family. I have to get my doctor to help me be more proactive in watching out for this before it is an emergency.

Comment from: colie84, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 05

My father went to work 09/12/2014 like any other day. He started having severe abdominal pains and felt like he couldn't breathe. His coworkers called 911 and he was rushed to the hospital via ambulance. The emergency room staff did an ultrasound and found a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) and sent him to CT right away to confirm. He was rushed to surgery where he stayed for over 6 hours. His heart stopped in surgery. They put him on bypass and opened his chest to bring his heart back. It was too late. The ruptured AAA was over 6 cm and had caused too much damage. They turned off all the machines after talking to my family and he passed away at age 61. He never even knew he had an AAA. He wasn't exactly a fan of going to the doctor. Very sad and unexpected for my whole family.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. I want to help others as to the symptoms that happened to me. I was so lucky. So if you hit a wall with a hammer hard you will feel in the stomach, and if you kick a ball you have sharp pain in the stomach.

Comment from: smiles1010, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

Yes, I had surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm done in 2013, still recovering and have a pain in my lower back on my spine, pelvic pain, and still gets shortness of breath. I don't know what I can do and can't do. I am still struggling but working only part time because it's hard to sit or stand for a long period of time. Having this surgery did save my life and I am continuing to strive to move forward.

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm?
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture Question: Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.