Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment

How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?

Comment from: Dfb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have always had stomach issues but the last few months have been rough. My stomach is distended like I am 9 months pregnant, gets very hard, I am short of breath, and have pain and nausea. I have had MRCP, and CT of abdomen and lungs with and without contrast; I had a very minimal elevation in lipase and mild fatty liver. My right side pain feels like knife cutting inside me frequently and other days a dull constant ache. Surgeries for gallbladder about 10 years ago, tubal, partial hysterectomy, then removed my last ovary; everything was stuck together. Then it took me 5 years for a doctor to believe me, they kept given me antidepressants. The doctor said if I swell up again to go to the emergency room and see if they will order CT scan while swollen. I also had endoscopy and colonoscopy, and couple polyps removed. The doctor states there is probably a partial blockage from adhesion. I was placed on Xifaxan for 14 days.

Comment from: Anita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

Last September 8th I traveled by ambulance in intense abdominal pain to hospital. There I underwent a laparotomy and bowel resection, they found 80 cm of ischemic small bowel and removed 100 cm, and necrotic bowel also was removed. I had a closed loop small bowel obstruction caused by omental band adhesions. I had never had abdominal surgery before. I developed a post operation bacterial infection, Serratia marcescens. On 13th December I developed an intense pain, ambulance ride to hospital and surgery, diagnosed with small bowel obstruction caused by adhesions. I still feel nauseous and have mild abdominal pain.

Comment from: K8Tee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I had surgery twice for abdominal adhesions. Shortly after the last surgery, which was torture, I got a bowel obstruction and refused to let anyone touch me. I ate a soft, though not healthy, diet for a few weeks until the obstruction cleared. I have always had a high pain tolerance so I know if it's over 10, I need to get to the emergency room. I had emergency surgeries both times. But my body couldn't take anymore, just three weeks later. So I ate ice cream and mashed potatoes. It worked. Don't delay treatment for adhesions. I did that and lost a large portion of my colon.

Comment from: Jilybeans, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had a partial hysterectomy in 1996 with cervical closure. For the past year I've been in pain, mostly on the right side. I went to the emergency room and was told it was irritable bowel syndrome. A year came and went and I still had the same pain. I met with an obstetrician/gynecologist and he told me I had a cyst on my right ovary but it was attached to my inguinal canal. Three weeks ago I had the ovary removed and had extensive adhesion removal (one end of my stomach to the other), and since then I have been in severe pain every time I cough, sneeze or urinate. I'm very bloated and sometimes when I cough I feel like I'm going to pass out. I don't know what to do since I had the surgery to remove the adhesions already.

Comment from: bestmilever, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 12

My husband just had his 4th colon cancer surgery. The doctor sewed him back up saying he couldn't get through the scar tissue and it became like cement and he was afraid of puncturing holes in his colon and losing him on the operating table. It left us with little hope, since there are 2 spots on his liver. He will have chemotherapy but the surgeon predicts the tumor will block his bowels.

Abdominal Adhesions - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your abdominal adhesions?
Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Infertility Question: Are abdominal adhesions the cause of your infertility? Please share your experience.
Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.