Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment

How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?

Comment from: Anita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

Last September 8th I traveled by ambulance in intense abdominal pain to hospital. There I underwent a laparotomy and bowel resection, they found 80 cm of ischemic small bowel and removed 100 cm, and necrotic bowel also was removed. I had a closed loop small bowel obstruction caused by omental band adhesions. I had never had abdominal surgery before. I developed a post operation bacterial infection, Serratia marcescens. On 13th December I developed an intense pain, ambulance ride to hospital and surgery, diagnosed with small bowel obstruction caused by adhesions. I still feel nauseous and have mild abdominal pain.

Comment from: K8Tee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I had surgery twice for abdominal adhesions. Shortly after the last surgery, which was torture, I got a bowel obstruction and refused to let anyone touch me. I ate a soft, though not healthy, diet for a few weeks until the obstruction cleared. I have always had a high pain tolerance so I know if it's over 10, I need to get to the emergency room. I had emergency surgeries both times. But my body couldn't take anymore, just three weeks later. So I ate ice cream and mashed potatoes. It worked. Don't delay treatment for adhesions. I did that and lost a large portion of my colon.

Comment from: Jilybeans, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had a partial hysterectomy in 1996 with cervical closure. For the past year I've been in pain, mostly on the right side. I went to the emergency room and was told it was irritable bowel syndrome. A year came and went and I still had the same pain. I met with an obstetrician/gynecologist and he told me I had a cyst on my right ovary but it was attached to my inguinal canal. Three weeks ago I had the ovary removed and had extensive adhesion removal (one end of my stomach to the other), and since then I have been in severe pain every time I cough, sneeze or urinate. I'm very bloated and sometimes when I cough I feel like I'm going to pass out. I don't know what to do since I had the surgery to remove the adhesions already.

Comment from: bestmilever, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 12

My husband just had his 4th colon cancer surgery. The doctor sewed him back up saying he couldn't get through the scar tissue and it became like cement and he was afraid of puncturing holes in his colon and losing him on the operating table. It left us with little hope, since there are 2 spots on his liver. He will have chemotherapy but the surgeon predicts the tumor will block his bowels.

Comment from: givemeananswer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had three laparoscopic surgeries in which adhesions were found. The first makes no mention as to what procedure if any was used to address them, the second they were lysed and the third they were taken down bluntly, as well as two others lysed using C02 laser. In my fourth surgery the laparotomy when the removed my uterus and cervix there was no mention of any adhesions.

Comment from: Sheila, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I had my appendix removed in 1977, I was then 31. About a week after I returned home I noticed an oily substance on my clothes. I went to see my general physician (GP) who told me I had healed outside, but I had not healed inside, short story he had to reopen the scar and then pack it. On my 6 week check-up the consultant removed the packing, then discharged me. My GP rang me the next day to find out how I got on, and when I told him he was cross. I had to ring the consultant who said he wanted to see what would happen with the packing removed! So it was reopened and packed again, I had weeks and weeks of having packing removed and replaced until I was fully healed. Over the years I have had pain so bad I have fainted, this happened yesterday and the GP I saw actually took notice, and she said the problem was because of the appendix scar and the adhesions caused by it.

Abdominal Adhesions - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your abdominal adhesions?
Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Infertility Question: Are abdominal adhesions the cause of your infertility? Please share your experience.
Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.