Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis

Disscuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.

Comment from: nmsteph28, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

Two emergency room visits, a CT scan, colonoscopy, 4 ultrasounds, endoscopy, countless visits to gastroenterologists and gynecologists, until finally my gynecologist did surgery for a "cyst" on my left ovary. Wait, I don't have a left ovary. It was removed during a hysterectomy in 2001. When the gynecologist did the surgery, she discovered the abdominal adhesions. It's been 10 months since my surgery and the chronic pain is back; vicious circle!

Comment from: jordan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I recently had gall bladder surgery (laparoscopic), and the doctor discovered adhesions in my upper abdomen. He had more difficulty removing the gall bladder because with everything stuck together he couldn't see it right away and had to separate things and cut another hole to get at it. I have never had surgery before in the abdomen so he was confused. But for several years I have had pancreatitis. I've had a lot of pain, three ER visits, and about six or eight attacks in last 10 years.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I had been having abdominal pain after a partial hysterectomy dr.s would not listen to me. So about 8 months later I woke up early in severe pain went to ER and rushed into emergency surgery. My appendix had attached to my bowel and shut my bowel off. Also had to have my ovaries taken out and a large amount of scar tissue cut back. It is now 5 months later and having the same symptoms. No health insurance will have to wait until emergency again because no Dr. will take you without insurance. Hopefully in September will have insurance. The next problem will be finding A Dr. to listen

Abdominal Adhesions - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your abdominal adhesions?
Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Infertility Question: Are abdominal adhesions the cause of your infertility? Please share your experience.
Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment Question: How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?