Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions.

Comment from: lulu smith, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had pain for over 5 months in my belly, intestinal and cervical area on the right side that affects my ability to go to the bathroom, hurts, and swells low and up the right side. Tests show nothing except scan shows something perhaps left from prior surgery, a hernia in belly button area, a small but growing tumor on the adrenal gland and I know there is a clot catcher in there somewhere. I had surgery in my twenties for a baby problem, I also had my tubes tied in my thirties, and was treated for ulcers and diverticulitis in my thirties and forties. I suffered with a deep vein thrombosis in my leg in 2008 and 3 entries across my stomach and down my leg, with the last one jerked out too fast leaving me in agony across my lower abdomen. Unfortunately, also my father beat and kicked me with his work boots. So there seem to be reasons to look at abdominal adhesions.

Comment from: MsTamara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had five surgeries and my body builds up scar tissue and abdominal adhesions because with every surgery they have had to remove a lot. I am always in pain and I can hardly take it. What makes me sad is that every doctor tells me there is nothing they can do. So in other words I have to live the rest of my life in this horrible pain. It even hurts when I sit down. Walking is horrible, and when I sit for a long time and I stand up I feel like crying it hurts so badly. There have been times when I have wondered to myself, why I should have to spend the rest of my life in pain. I have been hurting for 10 years now but for the last four years it has gotten worse. I can't take it anymore I wish I had some help.

Comment from: Kitkat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

In 2005 I got partial hysterectomy, and two days later had internal bleeding. Now I have a scar straight past belly button. Three years later in 2008 woke up in severe pain and had emergency surgery for abdominal adhesion and blockage. Then three years later 2011 same thing. Now I'm going through same bloating, look pregnant, and have constipation. Just waiting, it is now 3 years.

Comment from: tummytrouble, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

Adhesions are nothing to play with! When they have blocked your bowel it is a pain that exceeds the 0-10 scale. It's been 3 months since I was cleaned stem to sternum of abdominal adhesions. Within 6 weeks I was in excruciating pain and vomiting stool! The six attempts at getting a nasogastric tube in place were unsuccessful and gave me a severe nose bleed to the point that I was vomiting not only stool but my own blood. Finally the decision was made to insert a tube into my stomach to drain it. It was the only thing that relieved the pain. I am now still with the stomach tube and on TPN (total parenteral nutrition) because I lost 25lbs in 7 to 10 days. Since then I've only been able to gain 5lbs. Eating is a chore. I have PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) from the whole experience sometimes I scream out in pain while I'm sleeping! This has been a horrible experience but thankfully I finally got my doctor to listen when I told them something was wrong because my stool looked like little worms! Fecal incontinence was also a big problem!

Comment from: Sylvadoll, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I believe I may have abdominal adhesions. I had my gall bladder removed laparoscopically in 2009. About a year ago I started having this intense pain around my belly button. It feels like pins and needles most of the time, but occasionally it feels like someone is stabbing me from the inside. The pain is localized to the area that was cut, my belly button, straight up the abdomen and it stops right before my sternum. I also developed keloids after surgery. The pain gets worse when I lay down. I cannot even just get up anymore. I have to roll over then slowly push myself up. When I do that I feel this tugging sensation in my abdomen. The pain also worsens during my menstrual period and slowly goes away after it is over.

Abdominal Adhesions - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your abdominal adhesions?
Abdominal Adhesions - Infertility Question: Are abdominal adhesions the cause of your infertility? Please share your experience.
Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment Question: How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?