Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions.

Comment from: tummytrouble, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

Adhesions are nothing to play with! When they have blocked your bowel it is a pain that exceeds the 0-10 scale. It's been 3 months since I was cleaned stem to sternum of abdominal adhesions. Within 6 weeks I was in excruciating pain and vomiting stool! The six attempts at getting a nasogastric tube in place were unsuccessful and gave me a severe nose bleed to the point that I was vomiting not only stool but my own blood. Finally the decision was made to insert a tube into my stomach to drain it. It was the only thing that relieved the pain. I am now still with the stomach tube and on TPN (total parenteral nutrition) because I lost 25lbs in 7 to 10 days. Since then I've only been able to gain 5lbs. Eating is a chore. I have PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) from the whole experience sometimes I scream out in pain while I'm sleeping! This has been a horrible experience but thankfully I finally got my doctor to listen when I told them something was wrong because my stool looked like little worms! Fecal incontinence was also a big problem!

Comment from: Sylvadoll, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I believe I may have abdominal adhesions. I had my gall bladder removed laparoscopically in 2009. About a year ago I started having this intense pain around my belly button. It feels like pins and needles most of the time, but occasionally it feels like someone is stabbing me from the inside. The pain is localized to the area that was cut, my belly button, straight up the abdomen and it stops right before my sternum. I also developed keloids after surgery. The pain gets worse when I lay down. I cannot even just get up anymore. I have to roll over then slowly push myself up. When I do that I feel this tugging sensation in my abdomen. The pain also worsens during my menstrual period and slowly goes away after it is over.

Comment from: Delia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had an abdominal myomectomy eleven weeks ago in which 27 fibroid tumors were removed. I am still in pain. Almost immediately after my surgery and throughout my entire recovery I have been experiencing horrendous gastrointestinal cramping and very loud bowel sounds. I was convinced I had a partial small bowel obstruction due to adhesions from the surgery. Abdominal distention was hard to assess because I was so swollen from the surgery. But I was not vomiting, was having daily bowel movements, did not have a fever, etc., so I never did go to hospital. I was seeing the doctor regularly for post-operation appointments and he kept telling me it was all part of the healing process. Now, eleven weeks into my recovery I am still experiencing intestinal cramping and pain, but it has gotten better over these weeks. I don"t know what to think. Just happy I"m going in the right direction. Perhaps it has all been caused by swelling from surgery. I do not know.

Comment from: bekkah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had a total hysterectomy almost a year ago. It was for the treatment of cervical cancer, but since I had signs of endometriosis, they removed the ovaries as well. Even though I had the da Vinci robotic surgery and I only (I say "only" loosely) had 5 small incisions, I feel like I may have adhesions from the surgery. I did have a laparoscopy about 7 years before my hysterectomy, so may be that contributes to it. My symptoms include bloating temporarily, menstrual like cramping, and a "tight" feeling - like there are strings holding my skin outside to something on the inside and if I stretch too far... well, I"m sorry I stretched at all. It doesn"t seem to affect me daily, but sometimes the cramping and bloating are just awful! Being 45 and on the estrogen pills, I know I deal with menopause symptoms but I"m wondering if the synthetic hormones contribute to this at all may be like it is tricking my body into thinking I"m having a period sometimes. I don"t have any bleeding or discharge problems, but the tightening and cramping are brutal sometimes and I wish I could find an answer!

Comment from: June, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My symptom of my abdominal adhesion is that my stomach bloats. I look pregnant. It makes me feel bad. I had a hysterectomy when I was 28. I have been having swelling the past few months. It's getting worse. I had an x-ray and it showed I had adhesions of the bowel. I am taking PhaZyme. It helped a few days, but last night it swelled really big. The swelling goes down over night. When I'm not swelled I have a flat stomach.

Comment from: Anita Hassey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I first had a partial hysterectomy in 1978. Within six months, I had pain in my abdomen. Five years later, I had surgery for abdominal adhesions. They left the ovaries, which I felt may be the cause. Another five years later, I had another surgery for abdominal adhesions, and this time the doctor took my ovaries. Each of these surgeries was done by hip-to-hip incisions. Finally, 13 years ago I had a third surgery (since the original hysterectomy) for abdominal adhesions. This one, however, was done with a laporoscope. I have had no trouble until the last couple of months. The old familiar dull ache has been growing more and more intense. I'm now nearly 66 years old and probably facing a fourth surgery for adhesions. What would you suggest? Thanks very much.

Abdominal Adhesions - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your abdominal adhesions?
Abdominal Adhesions - Infertility Question: Are abdominal adhesions the cause of your infertility? Please share your experience.
Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment Question: How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?