Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions.

Comment from: MsTamara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had five surgeries and my body builds up scar tissue and abdominal adhesions because with every surgery they have had to remove a lot. I am always in pain and I can hardly take it. What makes me sad is that every doctor tells me there is nothing they can do. So in other words I have to live the rest of my life in this horrible pain. It even hurts when I sit down. Walking is horrible, and when I sit for a long time and I stand up I feel like crying it hurts so badly. There have been times when I have wondered to myself, why I should have to spend the rest of my life in pain. I have been hurting for 10 years now but for the last four years it has gotten worse. I can't take it anymore I wish I had some help.

Comment from: Kitkat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

In 2005 I got partial hysterectomy, and two days later had internal bleeding. Now I have a scar straight past belly button. Three years later in 2008 woke up in severe pain and had emergency surgery for abdominal adhesion and blockage. Then three years later 2011 same thing. Now I'm going through same bloating, look pregnant, and have constipation. Just waiting, it is now 3 years.

Comment from: tummytrouble, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

Adhesions are nothing to play with! When they have blocked your bowel it is a pain that exceeds the 0-10 scale. It's been 3 months since I was cleaned stem to sternum of abdominal adhesions. Within 6 weeks I was in excruciating pain and vomiting stool! The six attempts at getting a nasogastric tube in place were unsuccessful and gave me a severe nose bleed to the point that I was vomiting not only stool but my own blood. Finally the decision was made to insert a tube into my stomach to drain it. It was the only thing that relieved the pain. I am now still with the stomach tube and on TPN (total parenteral nutrition) because I lost 25lbs in 7 to 10 days. Since then I've only been able to gain 5lbs. Eating is a chore. I have PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) from the whole experience sometimes I scream out in pain while I'm sleeping! This has been a horrible experience but thankfully I finally got my doctor to listen when I told them something was wrong because my stool looked like little worms! Fecal incontinence was also a big problem!

Comment from: Sylvadoll, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I believe I may have abdominal adhesions. I had my gall bladder removed laparoscopically in 2009. About a year ago I started having this intense pain around my belly button. It feels like pins and needles most of the time, but occasionally it feels like someone is stabbing me from the inside. The pain is localized to the area that was cut, my belly button, straight up the abdomen and it stops right before my sternum. I also developed keloids after surgery. The pain gets worse when I lay down. I cannot even just get up anymore. I have to roll over then slowly push myself up. When I do that I feel this tugging sensation in my abdomen. The pain also worsens during my menstrual period and slowly goes away after it is over.

Comment from: treetoper, 35-44 (Patient) Published: December 29

Twenty years ago I got gall bladder surgery. The belly button did not work so they cut right side. For a few years I have had numbing around the area except for a sticky feeling when I move a certain way. I have made lots of trips to the doctor, but nothing helped and I am concerned about abdominal adhesions. Seven months ago I was told I have ankylosing spondylitis so I started physical therapy to build up my abdominal muscles. During treatment I got bad burning and sharp pain on the scar. Today I woke up sick and hurting in the area, and when looking at it I noticed a small deep bruise that is very painful.

Comment from: anna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I have been in the hospital with two partial blockages. The doctors were able to relieve both blockages, by giving me lots of medicine. I was also very dehydrated and they had to give me 22 bottles of sodium drip. Now I am back at home, taking Miralax. Now this is the third day I haven't had a bowel movement again. I am hurting very badly in my left abdomen and my lower back.

Abdominal Adhesions - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your abdominal adhesions?
Abdominal Adhesions - Infertility Question: Are abdominal adhesions the cause of your infertility? Please share your experience.
Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment Question: How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?