Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions.

Comment from: anna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I have been in the hospital with two partial blockages. The doctors were able to relieve both blockages, by giving me lots of medicine. I was also very dehydrated and they had to give me 22 bottles of sodium drip. Now I am back at home, taking Miralax. Now this is the third day I haven't had a bowel movement again. I am hurting very badly in my left abdomen and my lower back.

Comment from: treetoper, 35-44 (Patient) Published: December 29

Twenty years ago I got gall bladder surgery. The belly button did not work so they cut right side. For a few years I have had numbing around the area except for a sticky feeling when I move a certain way. I have made lots of trips to the doctor, but nothing helped and I am concerned about abdominal adhesions. Seven months ago I was told I have ankylosing spondylitis so I started physical therapy to build up my abdominal muscles. During treatment I got bad burning and sharp pain on the scar. Today I woke up sick and hurting in the area, and when looking at it I noticed a small deep bruise that is very painful.

Comment from: rappar, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have been living in constant pain because abdominal adhesions for the last 10 years. It only gets worse and I have yet to find any hope of help.

Comment from: lin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have adhesions and will need surgery.

Comment from: StorminNorman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I am a 46 year old male who has recently had hiatal hernia surgery, Nissen fundoplication and gallbladder removal surgery. They found adhesions at the gallbladder site and in the pelvis area and cut them out. My stomach is tender to the touch, and my doctor says everything is normal, but I am very concerned. They have done a barium swallow and x-ray to see if everything is okay, so far so good.

Comment from: Suffering, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I am suffering from abdominal adhesions because I have had 3 separate stomach surgeries. I am debating on having some of the scar tissue removed. My doctor advised me that no surgeon in my town will do it. The pain is increasing and happening more often now. It is the worst pain ever. I never have any notice when it is going to matter. My doctor also advised me that if they open me up again I will grow more scar tissue, like robbing Peter to pay Paul. I don't know what to do. It is ruining my life!

Comment from: Valerie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

After 2 1/2 years of undiagnosed abdominal pain and being sent home from the emergency room (twice) because they don't know what's wrong, I finally got surgery last week. It was a small hernia near an old laparoscopy site (had laparoscopy 25 years ago, and 2 years ago to remove gallbladder and appendix as a guess to what is wrong) and there were 2 adhesions, one on colon near stomach and one on my poor liver which was very attached to scar tissue.

Comment from: bebeofthree, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

Today is day five after having my gall bladder removed. Since I had hernia surgeries with patches they could not take it out through my belly button. So I am cut on my side bruised so bad it just aches. I had adhesions so bad and the gall bladder was attached to the liver which is enlarged. I wish there was a way to stop adhesions. I get them so bad that everything inside of me sticks together.

Abdominal Adhesions - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your abdominal adhesions?
Abdominal Adhesions - Infertility Question: Are abdominal adhesions the cause of your infertility? Please share your experience.
Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment Question: How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?