Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions.

Comment from: pet lover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have had gall bladder surgery followed by a hernia surgery 2 month later. I have abrasions around scar near navel area. I have pain stabbing once in a while but keep getting swelling from the area with hot feeling around them. My doctor treated once with antibiotics, but it has broken out again with blisters around this area. It's been around 2 years since the surgery.

Comment from: Suffering, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I am suffering from abdominal adhesions because I have had 3 separate stomach surgeries. I am debating on having some of the scar tissue removed. My doctor advised me that no surgeon in my town will do it. The pain is increasing and happening more often now. It is the worst pain ever. I never have any notice when it is going to matter. My doctor also advised me that if they open me up again I will grow more scar tissue, like robbing Peter to pay Paul. I don't know what to do. It is ruining my life!

Comment from: Valerie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

After 2 1/2 years of undiagnosed abdominal pain and being sent home from the emergency room (twice) because they don't know what's wrong, I finally got surgery last week. It was a small hernia near an old laparoscopy site (had laparoscopy 25 years ago, and 2 years ago to remove gallbladder and appendix as a guess to what is wrong) and there were 2 adhesions, one on colon near stomach and one on my poor liver which was very attached to scar tissue.

Comment from: bebeofthree, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

Today is day five after having my gall bladder removed. Since I had hernia surgeries with patches they could not take it out through my belly button. So I am cut on my side bruised so bad it just aches. I had adhesions so bad and the gall bladder was attached to the liver which is enlarged. I wish there was a way to stop adhesions. I get them so bad that everything inside of me sticks together.

Comment from: Delia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had an abdominal myomectomy eleven weeks ago in which 27 fibroid tumors were removed. I am still in pain. Almost immediately after my surgery and throughout my entire recovery I have been experiencing horrendous gastrointestinal cramping and very loud bowel sounds. I was convinced I had a partial small bowel obstruction due to adhesions from the surgery. Abdominal distention was hard to assess because I was so swollen from the surgery. But I was not vomiting, was having daily bowel movements, did not have a fever, etc., so I never did go to hospital. I was seeing the doctor regularly for post-operation appointments and he kept telling me it was all part of the healing process. Now, eleven weeks into my recovery I am still experiencing intestinal cramping and pain, but it has gotten better over these weeks. I don"t know what to think. Just happy I"m going in the right direction. Perhaps it has all been caused by swelling from surgery. I do not know.

Comment from: bekkah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had a total hysterectomy almost a year ago. It was for the treatment of cervical cancer, but since I had signs of endometriosis, they removed the ovaries as well. Even though I had the da Vinci robotic surgery and I only (I say "only" loosely) had 5 small incisions, I feel like I may have adhesions from the surgery. I did have a laparoscopy about 7 years before my hysterectomy, so may be that contributes to it. My symptoms include bloating temporarily, menstrual like cramping, and a "tight" feeling - like there are strings holding my skin outside to something on the inside and if I stretch too far... well, I"m sorry I stretched at all. It doesn"t seem to affect me daily, but sometimes the cramping and bloating are just awful! Being 45 and on the estrogen pills, I know I deal with menopause symptoms but I"m wondering if the synthetic hormones contribute to this at all may be like it is tricking my body into thinking I"m having a period sometimes. I don"t have any bleeding or discharge problems, but the tightening and cramping are brutal sometimes and I wish I could find an answer!

Abdominal Adhesions - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your abdominal adhesions?
Abdominal Adhesions - Infertility Question: Are abdominal adhesions the cause of your infertility? Please share your experience.
Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment Question: How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?