Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your abdominal adhesions?

Comment from: Nunya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

My adhesions came from a full Nissen fundoplication. They range from my liver to my lower left lung, under the ribcage. It's awful and painful and I will probably spend the rest of my life on morphine from it. I had a full Nissen, please consider laparoscopic surgery if you have GERD and need a Nissen. I did not have the option at the time of my surgery.

Comment from: ladolphs, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had been having severe pain in my lower right abdomen since April. After many tests, ultrasounds, CT scans, and a colonoscopy, the doctors still did not have any answers. He finally decided to go in for exploratory surgery and he wanted to remove my appendix hoping that was the cause. They found a little bit of endometriosis on my left side under my uterus, and adhesions all up and down the right side of my abdomen. I have never had any prior surgeries on my abdomen. He is not sure what the scarring could be from and has put me in the 'weird' category. I am now being sent to a specialist of some sort.

Comment from: K8Tee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

My abdominal adhesions were caused by numerous abdominal surgeries. Unfortunately, surgery is needed to fix this, creating more adhesions. The pain is definitely over 10 on the 0 to 10 scale.

Comment from: spreksbeee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I developed abdominal adhesions after colon resectioning.

Comment from: Dawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I had 5 C-sections, and a bladder surgery to repair a tear during my last one. I have been having abdominal bleeding for the past few months. My doctor is unable to do a biopsy because scar tissue prevents him from getting through to where he would need to do biopsy. While doing a pelvic exam, he said my uterus is nearly cemented in by scar tissue (he is unable to move it at all). I am not having any real abdominal pain other than feeling the occasional clot getting stuck, and it is relieved when it passes. My doctor says my only recourse is a hysterectomy, I am very afraid of the adhesions causing me more bladder or possible bowel problems during another procedure.

Comment from: Patty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My scar tissue was discovered during a laparoscopic surgery. I had been experiencing pain but after many doctors and many procedures (MRI, CAT scan, bone scan, nerve induction, etc.) we had zero answers. However, during this unrelated surgery, the doctor found the scar tissue, the answer to all the incredible pain. He cut the abdominal adhesions down and washed it thoroughly and told me I was good to go and that it would not bother me again. Unfortunately, as the pain killers from the surgery wore off, the pain returned, that fast, the scar tissue came back. Thankfully, the doctor video-taped the surgery and a physiotherapist friend of mine started deep massage in the hip area where the scar tissue was (and I mean deep). It took months of work and then my husband took over. Gradually, I needed the deep massage weekly, then monthly, then quarterly, then annually, and finally just time to time. That was 18 years ago. Sadly, it has returned just recently, but I know how to overcome. Please skip the surgery and find an excellent physical therapist and/or medical massage therapist. They can feel it and attack it. Good luck.

Comment from: belly pain, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 03

My abdominal adhesions were caused by too many belly operations.

Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Infertility Question: Are abdominal adhesions the cause of your infertility? Please share your experience.
Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment Question: How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?