Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your abdominal adhesions?

Comment from: spreksbeee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I developed abdominal adhesions after colon resectioning.

Comment from: Dawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I had 5 C-sections, and a bladder surgery to repair a tear during my last one. I have been having abdominal bleeding for the past few months. My doctor is unable to do a biopsy because scar tissue prevents him from getting through to where he would need to do biopsy. While doing a pelvic exam, he said my uterus is nearly cemented in by scar tissue (he is unable to move it at all). I am not having any real abdominal pain other than feeling the occasional clot getting stuck, and it is relieved when it passes. My doctor says my only recourse is a hysterectomy, I am very afraid of the adhesions causing me more bladder or possible bowel problems during another procedure.

Comment from: dr_robinson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

My adhesions were caused by removal of the left abdominal rectus muscle and repair with ePTFE (Teflon-like) substance which has adhered to my bowels for at least 15 years.

Comment from: tnt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

In 1996 I was in a car accident in which my spleen ruptured. I had never been in the hospital before and I ended up having abdominal surgery to remove my spleen. In 2000 I suddenly started having severe abdominal pain and ended up in the hospital for 11 days. Exploratory laparotomy showed adhesions had wrapped around my small bowel so I had 6 inches of the small bowel removed. In 2010 I needed to have my gall bladder removed. My surgeon tried to do it laparoscopically but due to all the adhesions, he wasn't able to so I had (another) open abdominal surgery, which led to more adhesions. I just spent most of last night in the emergency room again for a partial bowel obstruction that fortunately resolved on its own. I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before I have more problems from these freaking adhesions!

Comment from: tnt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I recently had surgery on my back to remove a stimulator after 4 years in. Last Sunday I was rushed to the emergency room with severe abdominal pain. I've also had a full hysterectomy 11 years ago. I'm still suffering, going for a colonoscopy on September first. I suffer every day with severe right abdominal pain going down to my groin. The right lower side of my groin is numb. Results from hospital indicate severe gastritis and ulcer in stomach; small and large intestine must be checked.

Comment from: breymo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had rectal/colon surgery 23 years ago. The surgeon cut me from hip to hip across my body. I underwent radiation therapy with surgery and chemotherapy. Past two years I have had extreme pain with final diagnosis of severe scar tissue and adhesions. November 2015 I had surgery to have scar tissue removed from rectum, opening was the size of a pencil. I had continued pain, and in April 2015 gallbladder was removed. Doctor says he can see scar tissue present throughout abdominal area. I was doing well with no attacks until tonight.

Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Infertility Question: Are abdominal adhesions the cause of your infertility? Please share your experience.
Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment Question: How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?