Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your abdominal adhesions?

Comment from: spreksbeee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I developed abdominal adhesions after colon resectioning.

Comment from: Dawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I had 5 C-sections, and a bladder surgery to repair a tear during my last one. I have been having abdominal bleeding for the past few months. My doctor is unable to do a biopsy because scar tissue prevents him from getting through to where he would need to do biopsy. While doing a pelvic exam, he said my uterus is nearly cemented in by scar tissue (he is unable to move it at all). I am not having any real abdominal pain other than feeling the occasional clot getting stuck, and it is relieved when it passes. My doctor says my only recourse is a hysterectomy, I am very afraid of the adhesions causing me more bladder or possible bowel problems during another procedure.

Comment from: dr_robinson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

My adhesions were caused by removal of the left abdominal rectus muscle and repair with ePTFE (Teflon-like) substance which has adhered to my bowels for at least 15 years.

Comment from: tnt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

In 1996 I was in a car accident in which my spleen ruptured. I had never been in the hospital before and I ended up having abdominal surgery to remove my spleen. In 2000 I suddenly started having severe abdominal pain and ended up in the hospital for 11 days. Exploratory laparotomy showed adhesions had wrapped around my small bowel so I had 6 inches of the small bowel removed. In 2010 I needed to have my gall bladder removed. My surgeon tried to do it laparoscopically but due to all the adhesions, he wasn't able to so I had (another) open abdominal surgery, which led to more adhesions. I just spent most of last night in the emergency room again for a partial bowel obstruction that fortunately resolved on its own. I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before I have more problems from these freaking adhesions!

Comment from: tnt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

Comment from: Gayle Reichelt, Female (Patient) Published: May 17

In the past 4 months I have developed severe pain in my right side, that won't go away. I have previously had 2 bouts of ovarian cysts, appendicitis and a hysterectomy about 18 years ago. Pain relief is not helping at all and the pain is similar to what I had when I had the ovarian cysts. I am having an ultrasound this week to see what's going on and if there are adhesions.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I had an old style gallbladder surgery and was told I have multiple hernias along that line and scar tissue.

Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Infertility Question: Are abdominal adhesions the cause of your infertility? Please share your experience.
Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment Question: How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?