Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your abdominal adhesions?

Comment from: CBS-, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

The cause of my abdominal adhesions is from having my gall bladder removed in 1998. In 2008 I had laparoscopic exploratory surgery to determine the cause of the extreme pain and lump in the right lower quadrant of my abdomen. A mass of scar tissue that had adhered to my abdominal wall (where my gall bladder had as well) and a "great amount" of adhesions were removed. It is now 2014 and the same pain but worse, and lump have returned but the first doctor I"ve seen is refusing to do anything. I have an appointment for a second opinion but truly deplore taking pain medication; however it is necessary at this time because sitting and walking, any movement, brings me to tears. The first doctor had a CT scan performed, which was negative of course - even he said it wouldn"t show scar tissues. Hoping the second opinion has some other options, I refuse to take pain medications – I'm thinking about trying massage.

Comment from: helloworld, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

The cause for my abdominal adhesions was liposuction. The adhesions presented themselves a few years later.

Comment from: las2003, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

My abdominal adhesions are a result of a medical misadventure surgery back in 1999. To date, I've had 14 major surgeries. I had an ileostomy and now suffer from daily chronic pain. My last surgery to remove adhesions was back in 2008 and it appears they have reared their ugly heads again and I need to have more removed. The pain is endless and unbearable especially, when you can't handle even a small amount of pain.

Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Infertility Question: Are abdominal adhesions the cause of your infertility? Please share your experience.
Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis Question: Disscuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.
Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment Question: How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?